Tuesday, May 22, 2012

On the Trail of Bjornstad and Kiver


Rainbow at sunset over Dry Falls

In some manner I feel I have been on Bruce Bjornstad's trail for many years. I went to high school in eastern Washington and later worked on figuring fate and transport mechanisms of various groundwater contaminants at the Hanford area. Most anyone with even a minimal understanding of the of the ice-age floods in eastern Washington will recognize J. Harlen Bretz's work, the work of understanding these floods and how exactly they shaped our landscape has been ongoing and it really continues to surprise and thrill. Whenever I get over on the east side of our state or down to the Columbia River and Portland and Longview areas, I have to look at things through the lens of the huge floods. Some of the features are so unique that a little help is always appreciated.

Having been trailing behind the work of Bjornstad and others I am looking forward to getting a little help on the features across the northern and upper end of the flood paths. Thanks to Dave Tucker and Dale Middleton for the heads up.
 
The book can be ordered from http://www.sandpointonline.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=228

1 comment:

Scott Schuldt said...

I have a copy of that book as well. It is excellent. Amazing how many of the features can be seen when you are driving through eastern Washington.